Aware Road Safety Proposal
NUTSHELL: This Project is designed to avoid traffic blocks and accidents without traffic signals and traffic polices
INTRODUCTION: The name of the project is “AWARE” which will help to avoid traffic jams and accidents at the concerned city premises The pilot project will be currently implemented from THAMPANOOR to ATTAKULANGARA. The following content will explain the aim of the project.
REASONS OF ACCIDENTS:
* Pedestrians do not make proper use of the foot paths and use mobiles while crossing the roads which might lead to accidents
* Pedestrians are facing problems walking on the foot path due to the hawkers and other fruit sellers. Thus, they have to get down on the road due to which there are possibility of accidents.
* Road side parkings are a nuisance for the existing traffic which causes traffic block.
* The vehicles take U-Turn wherever they want and this causes chaos among other drivers and causes disturbance.
* Vehicles over take other vehicles as they are in a hurry as they believe that there is enough space due to which the vehicles coming from the opposite side might be in danger.
* Vehicles crossing the roads from the wrong side and road crossing by the pedestrians will lead to accidents.
* It is not possible for the vehicle drivers to scan the entire area while driving.
* Use of head lights of the vehicles coming from the opposite side blocks the vision.
* Heavy vehicles drive over speed which might lead to accidents.
* Vehicles driving from wrong direction will lead to accidents.
* Signal jumping is the reason of accidents in todays scenario
PROPOSED ROAD STRUCTURE:
* A divider in the middle of the road having 6 feet height and 0.5 feet width.
* There is a divider between the foot path and the road and one in the middle of the road.
* Pedestrians will cross using the pedestrian bridge.
* Roundabouts and Humps are fixed in roundabouts in order to control traffic and will help the vehicles to go about one by one humps are also fixed at the starting of the byroads.
HOW THE PROJECT WORKS:
* Pedestrians will not cross the road. They will automatically use the pedestrian bridge. Even if they use the mobile phones while on the pedestrian bridge or the foot path, it will not lead to accidents. Wrong crossing, overtaking of vehicles can be avoided.
* With the help of this project a divider will be created which will leave the pedestrians with no option other than to take the foot path. Thus the hawkers and other road side fruit sellers will move from the foot paths.
* The vehicles cannot be parked on the road side and even if they want to park, the vehicles from behind will not let them do so as it will block the traffic. And the public will not be able to walk into the foot path if they park their vehicles by the road. This is a solution to the current scene where there are no dividers.
* Due to the dividers, the vehicles will not be able to take U-Turn anywhere they want. They will have to go till the next byroad or the junction and take their path. This will help in avoiding road accidents.
* The dividers help in eliminating the vehicles overtaking and hence no matter how much the driver is in a hurry, he will have to follow the traffic.
* Does not have to scan the entire area while driving.
* Head lights of the vehicles coming from the opposite side will not block the vision.
At the roundabouts and at the required places the pedestrian bridges will help the pedestrians to walk in any direction of their choice without any traffic disturbance.
The humps at the byroads and the junctions will automatically slow down the vehicles and thus in turn it will help in avoiding accidents, traffic jams and signal jumping.
Roundabouts will help in smooth flow of the traffic without any blockage and signal jumping.
The project is a low cost, long life project. It will help in avoiding traffic polices for duty, signals and will automatically make the drivers conscious to drive in a normal speed along with the other vehicles and hence will eliminate the possibility of accidents.
This proposal is already has been submitted to the below mentioned concerned officials and is waiting for their approval.
1) PWD Secretary, Thiruvananthapuram (28-01-2014) Proposal number-3387/D2/2014/PWD
2) NATPAC Director, Thiruvananthapuram (29-01-2014) Proposal number-
3) KSTP Director, Thiruvananthapuram (29-01-2014) Proposal number-AE6/598/04-02-2014
4) Kerala Transport Commissioner, Thiruvananthapuram (01-02-2014) Proposal number- A2-104/KRSA/2014